Monday, August 06, 2012

My Standing Desk is Now My Station

Taking a seat at a my desk is a commitment to a stay for a while. I am disposed to relaxation. I am vulnerable. Once here, my body will be constrained, my reach, limited, and departure will involve some effort. 

Approaching my station leaves me freer to move about, and invites me to stay only as long as the immediate task is at hand. My posture is erect, alert, and commanding. Like the pilot at the wheel of his ship, or the hunter surveying the valley below, I am disposed to action.

Station is an old word--at least 600 years old in English and French. It derives from the latin verb status, to stand, which is in turn, the root of "state"It has grown metaphorically to embrace notions of social position (my station in life) , workplace (workstation) , military (position guarded by armed men), communications (radio and television stations)  and scientific spaces, to name a few.

A station is where I re-fuel, pick up my mail, and get my news. I like the fact that it encompasses more than a piece for furniture; it is the action I perform here, as well as a deliberate fixing of the space around the floor, desk and shelves that make it up.

Definition of STATION

1
a : the place or position in which something or someone stands or is assigned to stand or remainb : any of the places in a manufacturing operation at which one part of the work is donec : equipment used usually by one person for performing a particular job
2
: the act or manner of standing : posture
3
: a stopping place: as(1) : a regular stopping place in a transportation route station
(2) : the building connected with such a stopping place : depot 3b : one of the stations of the cross
4
a : a post or sphere of duty or occupationb : a stock farm or ranch especially of Australia or New Zealand
>
6
: a place for specialized observation and study of scientific phenomena station
station>
7
: a place established to provide a public service: as(1) : fire station (2) : police stationb : a branch post office
9
a : a complete assemblage of radio or television equipment for transmitting or receivingb : the place in which such a station is located

Examples of STATION

  1. They drove him to the bus station.
  2. The waiters were at their stations in the dining room.
  3. The sailors were ordered to man their battle stations.
  4. He had married above his station.
  5. They were aware of her station in life.

Origin of STATION

Middle English stacioun, from Anglo-French estation, statiun, from Latin station-, statio, from stare to stand — more at stand
First Known Use: 14th century

No comments: