Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Thinking about variation (1)

According to the latest neuroscience, every neuromuscular act utilizes a unique set of neural connections. I wanted to explore this idea in more depth, particularly in the context of my current reading of James Gleick's  "Chaos", and the notions of deep patterns to be found amidst the noise of everyday experience. Unfortunately, I don't own any astronomical or biological instruments. One kind of neuromuscular laboratory is "at hand" however--my own writing-- and a few digital tools that allow me to examine it at varying scales. 



This is a figure 8 on its side, or "infinity", which I attempted to render repeatedly with pencil on paper. As you can see, I had great difficulty performing even this well-practiced gesture exactly the same way over a dozen or so overlapping tries.










No comments: